Monday, October 8, 2018

Keep Climbing the Mountain

Nimen Hao!

Wo ai nimen, Wo xiangnian nimen. Wo wei nimen qidao.

This week has just been amazing, I've learned so much. Before I get to the spiritual stuff here are some of the big things that happened this week.

1. Our Mongolian Elder tried quoting Matthew 14:31 and instead of saying "oh ye" he said "oh yeah". And none of us can quote it correctly without laughing.
2. Our Mongolian Elder also broke part of his foot so he is in a boot. (yes someone in my district has gotten hurt at least once a week)
3. We are now the oldest district in the zone... we leave the MTC in 3 weeks! It's going by so fast!
4. One of Elders ate his chick'fil'a with plastic gloves on Monday so that was interesting.
5. We got all of our Elders matching ties and took "family photos"
6. We learned two very important sayings in Mandarin, first one: "bihnm dou" which is flip the table in exasperation. Second: "Wo shou bu liao" which is I literally can't even. Our teachers probably regret teaching us that but there is no turning back now.
7. Sitting here emailing and a random Elder just told his comp that whenever he writes satan's name he never capitalizes it. His comp responds "ohh got him".

Now on to the spiritual stuff. I have had so many amazing experiences this past week it has been a blessing. My experience here at the MTC and for my mission in general is like climbing a mountain. My first today here was when you are at the bottom of the Mountain looking up to the top asking yourself how am I going to get to the top. But you start on your hike anyways. I know that these next 17 months are going to fly by. That will be when I reach the top of the mountain and look back down and ask where has all the time gone? The view at the top will be absolutely amazing and worth every bruise and scrape I got on the way. Currently I am part way up the mountain, I can't see the top of the mountain anymore and I've gone too far to turn back now. On this hike I have two options. 1. look down at my feet and just keep thinking to myself how long and hard this hike is. OR 2. Look and enjoy all the beautiful scenery around me, get to know the people I'm traveling with and encourage the people around me making sure they don't give up. We are all traveling on this mountain of life and we are all at the part where we can't see the top anymore. It can be discouraging at times, I have felt those discouraging times. But I want to promise you that looking up and seeing the beauty around you is so much better than just looking at your feet. LOOK UP! See the visible and hidden beauties God has put in your path. Get to know the people you are hiking with (family, friends, coworkers, strangers) they are all so unique and you will be blessed for getting to know them. Learn to love them because when you do you will do anything for them to make sure they get to the top of the mountain. Serve them, help them, carry them if you have to.

There have been a couple of times that I've tripped and bruised myself, but every time I have fallen there has been someone to help me back up. I have seen so many beautiful things this past week. Here are some of them.

I've been studying the book of Mosiah this past week. I absolutely love it! The two parts that stood out to me the most are chapter 4 verses 16-27 and chapter 5 verse 12-13. The one found in chapter 4 talks about how we shouldn't be judging others if they have less than us because we are all beggars. It's so true! So instead of tearing others down help lift them up! Do everything in your power to help them. But also in verse 27 it says something about how God doesn't require man to run faster than he has strength for. Know that whatever God asks of you he knows you can do. The second one talks about how we need to always have Christ's name written on our hearts. I have the privilege for the next 17 months to have his name on my chest everyday. You don't need a name tag to have his name on your heart, if you act the way he would, love/serve others the way he would, talk the way he would you will have his name written on your heart.

We taught one of our teachers this last week about the Restoration of the Gospel. I had the opportunity to recite the first vision to him in Chinese. I was able to get through it without messing up once. But that wasn't even the cool part! The spirit was so strong in that room, both my companion and I were crying while we shared our testimonies with him. My Mandarin is limited but through what I was able to say the Holy Ghost was able to testify. It truly was amazing, I can't even find words to describe it.

The last one I want to share is about General Conference. How amazing was that!?! I loved every minute of it! I'm so excited for the 12 new temples! I'm excited for the new church schedule, I think it will bless families immensely! All of the talks were just amazing! But I had 3 that I just absolutely loved. 1. Elder Rasband's talk about not fearing. I've been working on strengthening my faith in Christ, everything he said was answer to my questions. 2. Elder Andersen's talk about how the Savior can heal every and any wounded soul. I loved this talk so much because the Savior has healed my soul many times and I know he will continue to do so for the rest of my life. I also loved it because that is my purpose as a missionary! To invite others to come unto Christ so he can heal their wounded souls! I know he can/will heal you if you turn to him and ask. 3. Elder Stevenson's about helping the Shepherd tend to his flock. The lord requires our help to keep his sheep safe, what an opportunity! I have so much love for the people in Taiwan already! I can't wait to go and serve them. But I'm also loving all the opportunities I have here at the MTC to serve others.

We are so lucky to live in a time when there is living Prophets on the earth! I will stop babbling now. I just want all of you to know that I love this church and my love for it grows everyday! Keep Climbing the Mountain, the view is beautiful at the top but it is just as beautiful on your way up.

Love you all!
Bao Jie Mei

No comments:

Post a Comment