Monday, September 3, 2018

First Week

Hi everyone!!!

It has been a crazy week. My companion is a Sister from the Philapenes (however you spell it) her name is Sister Concardas. I absolutely love her, she is super quiet but there are times she will say something, and it will totally surprise me because it's so funny. My district is absolutely amazing! There is one other companion of sisters in my district, Sister Griffin and Sister Andersen. They both know Chinese already so they help me all the time! There are 3 sets of Elders also in our District, we are all heading to the Taiwan, Taipei Mission except for one Elder who is going to Hong Kong.

I wish I could tell you that the MTC has been all good things, but this first week has been a roller coaster ride for me. I would have a good experience with all of the spiritual things we are doing, but as soon as we would switch to learning Chinese I would become so frustrated with myself. I wasn't understanding the language, and I'm a perfectionist so I was bitter a lot. I felt that I was called to the wrong place, and part of me just wanted to give up and come home. Luckily for me the sisters in my district are absolutely amazing and they would help pull me out of my bad mood. But the next day it would happen again, and again. It wasn't until yesterday that I had a reality check. We were in sacrament meeting, and an Elder stood up who is in my zone and he told us how he had struggled his first week or two in the MTC. But then told us that it will only stay hard if we keep looking internal, he continued to say that when we get frustrated with ourselves we are also hurting our companion. I had never thought of it that way until then. But that wasn't the only thing, throughout the rest of Sunday we had a couple different devotionals. About 3-4 speakers talked about turning outwards and not in. As missionaries we aren't here for ourselves, we are here to serve God and those around us. The spirit spoke to me in every one of those talks. It changed my outlook on my entire mission. Last night I made a promise to my Heavenly Father that I would stop feeling sorry for myself, and start focusing on those around me. Since last night I have found multiple ways to serve my companion and the other Sisters. My mood has changed completely! It feels so good to be serving others and not focusing on myself. I am focusing coming unto Christ, I'm studying my Chinese but I've come to know that my Chinese probably won't ever be perfect. But that's not what brings people to Christ, the spirit does! So I am doing everything I can to have the spirit be with me! I know by doing that my Chinese will come, but the spirit is what is really important.

I am so grateful for this amazing experience that I have been able to have these last few days. Not all good, but it was the only way for me to learn how to be a good missionary. I promise all of you that if you need help with something turn to God, he will help you! He is wants to help you, he is just waiting for you to turn to him! I love this gospel and my testimony grows everyday! I love you all and miss you so much!

While I am in the MTC my P-day will be on Mondays. I can read emails throughout the entire week but can only respond on my P-day. I would love to hear form all of you!

Love, Sister Porter (or in Chinese Bao Jiemei)

No comments:

Post a Comment