Monday, September 24, 2018

If you pray for humility be ready to get wrecked...

Nimen hao!

So the meaning behind my subject title every Sunday we pick a Christ like attribute to work on for the week. Last week we picked humility, as a district and individually we all got humbled. Last Pday while playing volleyball one of Elders went up for a block, the missionary on the side went up as well and they hit one another. Our Elder fell pretty hard, he ended up tearing his ACL and partially his meniscus. He had doctor's appointments all week trying to figure what he was going to do. He has decided to stay for the remainder of the time at the MTC, however, he will then be flying back to Australia to get surgery and recover. Throughout the week not knowing if he would stay or not hit our district hard. We have really grown together and imaging one of us no longer being there brought all of us to tears. My companion got her wisdom teeth out on Wednesday. She was a trooper and we went to class that same night, she kept pushing herself because missing class would be rough. Well she ended up getting sick because she wasn't resting enough and from the medication the doctor put her on. For myself personally it was almost everyday I had the reminder that I can't do this only relying on myself. Which makes sense because I'm supposed to rely on Christ, however, I've had to learn the hard way that I haven't been putting 100% of my trust to him. I've had to humble myself and turn completely to him accepting the fact that I am nothing without him. It was hard to swallow but I'm grateful that he humbled me, because I know that with giving him everything he will soooo much better than I would have done by myself.

We've had amazing experiences as well this week! For our Tuesday night devotional we had the privilege to have Elder Neil L. Andersen come and speak to us!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing, words can't describe the feeling that was in that room. I know with all of my soul that he is an Apostle of Jesus Christ. His wife spoke to us first about how what we believe in. She did an amazing job, the thing she repeated multiple times throughout her talk was that people can not take away what you believe in unless you allow them to. SO DON'T ALLOW IT! It was so good. Elder Andersen then spoke about temples. He talked about how when we go to the temple we get to learn about the thing in mind, but also we are learning things for eternity. It was a really cool way to explain the importance of going to the temple and learning while we are there. One other thing he mentioned that really stuck with me is that the spiritual experiences we have make us who we are. We don't have the same experiences as others and that is for a reason. Don't compare yourself spiritually to someone else spiritually, you have had different experiences! I'm so grateful that we had the opportunity to hear from an apostle.

On Wednesday we got new missionaries in our zone! They are all just amazing! There are 8 of them and half of them already speak fluent Chinese. How cool is that?! It's been so fun to get to know them! Oh and one of the new sisters might have re-injured her ACL (she had surgery in Feb. of this year) while playing Sister Soccer Saturday. It's been rough for her, but she has an awesome attitude through it all. The way she is handling it is honestly amazing, I've gained so much respect for her.

Throughout all of the craziness of this week there has been a scripture that has stuck with me. It's in Jacob 2:8 it says "And it supposeth me that they have come up hither to hear the pleasing word of God, yes, the word which healeth the wounded soul." The word of God = the scriptures heals the soul. I know that this is true! This week truly has been humbling, and the scriptures have helped me turn myself fully to the Lord. One of our teachers challenged us to read the Book of Mormon for at least 30 minutes a day, everyday. It really has blessed my life personally, in my teaching, and has helped me with Chinese. Heavenly Father guides through his prophets and through the Book of Mormon. I love this gospel and I get more and more excited everyday to go share it with the people in Taiwan!

I have loved my experience at the MTC, it really has been amazing! Someone in my district yesterday told all of us that on this Friday we will be at our one month mark (also our halfway mark at the MTC). I can't believe how fast time is going by. I'm going to miss the MTC, but I'm honestly so excited to go to Taiwan and being able to share the gospel with the people there!

I love you all!
Sister Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment